Monday 1 October 2012

What's more dangerous, shark infested waters or a girl with princess syndrome?

After a gruelling day at work, where I was simultaneously battling man flu (I will never bitch about UK working hours.. 9am-5pm oh, how I miss those days! The Asians work so bloody hard!) I made the executive decision to give up on my 58457hour commute and take a taxi home. Definitely wise.
As per usual, the taxi driver had an endless amount of banter, and we happened upon the subject of HK men; where we happily proceeded to bash the living hell out of one particular type. A type that I'm pretty certain only exists in Asia.

Now this type of male species doesn't have a name, but they do have certain characteristics. The major and most telling one is this - they carry their girlfriend/wife's handbag. Seriously, have they lost their cajones?! Their dignity?! Why are they carrying a freaking Chanel handbag, HANDBAG!, around?! Get a grip on life and tell your bird that if she can't carry her own bloody bag, then she shouldn't buy one in the first place. Jeez.

Now I can wholeheartedly admit that this isn't entirely the guy's fault. I am aware that the lion's share of the blame is wholly on the girl - who is obviously suffering from advanced stages of Princess Syndrome. Completely dehabilitating, but a pretty common disease within the Hong Kong female population. And something that I can absolutely not stand. For those who have yet to encounter this horrendous disorder, let me outline some of the major symptoms;
  • princess mentality; that they're above others - that they are infinitely better, prettier, smarter 
  • expect others to drop everything to help them 
  • throw tantrums when they don't get their own way 
  • being generally spoilt
What's more horrifying is that I've seen this in action, more than once. On the MTR, on an escalator, in the middle of a shopping centre (I wrote 'mall' first before remembering that I'm British..ugh, I said 'cell phone' the other day as well, I nearly shot myself). Girls throwing full on hissy fits at their boyfriend for not saying the right thing or not paying them enough attention. Girls demanding completely ridiculous items from waiters in restaurants. Girls thinking that they're the absolute shit and need to have the immediate attention of everyone in the vicinity, right now. Its more sickening to watch than 'two girls one cup' (okay, maybe thats a different level of sick). It's just not right.
The mentality is wrong on so many levels, and what makes it worse are the people (usually boyfriends and husbands) that completely bow down and actually give in to their stipulations.
I think that if I had tried to do this back home, I would've been swiftly told to do one and to stop being such a dick. I'm certain that not many would even entertain the thought of hanging out with me ever again if I acted like this.

So my question is, why are so many (Asian) girls like this? And why are so many (Asian) guys so accepting?

More importantly, what's 'get a grip and grow a pair' in Chinese?!

No comments:

Post a Comment